Nate/Near needs a new name and pseudonym... Or to become someone else entirely

For matters related to the striking of DN from IT Matters/Matti's fiction

Moderator: animeprincess

orangepunch
Global Moderator

Nate/Near needs a new name and pseudonym... Or to become someone else entirely

Postby orangepunch » April 2nd, 2017, 6:06 pm

In the prologue of It Matters, Roger is having a chat with Matt about where he would rank if he put in any effort. It is here that he brings up Nate working very hard for the number one spot, yet Matt doesn't try at all and ranks 3rd. Then when Matt won't chose a pseudonym, Roger tries to egg him on by saying Mihael and Nate have both chosen one (Mello and Near obv.)

Obviously there has to be someone to act as arch rival to Mello but it doesn't have to be Near. It could be an entirely unique character. It doesn't even have to be a boy! Though it can be. And the character will obviously need to not be
-obsessed with toys
-constantly in white
-whatever age he is in the novels because that is lifted from DN... Basically they all need new birthdays lol

Things which are specific to Matti's stories are the fact that,
-Matt believes Nate to have aspergers (and from Matti's perspective she has written the character to have aspergers)
-Someone Matt feels a lot of sympathy for

Things to consider when changing the character
-The goal isn't to make a universally hated character just because Mello hates Nate
-If we do change EVERYTHING about him so that he is not essentially Near with the DN removed how sad will Near fans be?
-Very good at maths because that's essential some elements of stories.
lua

Re: Nate/Near needs a new name and pseudonym... Or to become someone else entirely

Postby lua » April 3rd, 2017, 10:04 pm

i don't think those elements about near have to be changed because the novels are about mello and matt. near is hated because we are getting the feelings from mello and matt and this is what makes the chapter we get much later that is from near's point of view so amazing. that is my favourite near chapter and i think one of my favourite chapters in all of the novels and it will have zero impact if near isn't hated by mello. and there isn't any effort being put in making the reader hate near, near is just who he is so if that is being changed, there will be effort being put in making the reader actually like near instead of the neutral situation we are in. i'm totally against that and i vote to keep things as they are.

as for near's gender, i think it's irrelevant. he has been addressed as a boy, but he could be trans or agender or nonbinary using masculine pronouns. it would have no impact because of how near acts and how his autism is shown in the story.

in regards to his clothes, also irrelevant. he is mostly described as wearing pyjamas so if those pyjamas suddenly had tiny horses in them instead of being all white, that would be fine and make him dress completely different from near while making no real impact in the story.

the obsession with toys seems tied to his autism? isn't that his special interest?

i think it's important that he is good at maths as well as other things because mello is good with literature and there is a contrast on how they have different skills in that way so i think it would be really good if that stayed. it's highlighted in a completely different way that it's done in canon. tbh i don't really remember that being brought up in canon in the same way matti uses it and i feel like it's more of a fanon thing

matt only seems to have a lot of sympathy for near because of the child soldiers thing, so is that staying? i brought it up in another thread, but it seems very important to discuss that and i'm so behind with the editing since i didn't realize it was already happening *hangs head in shame*
lua

Re: Nate/Near needs a new name and pseudonym... Or to become someone else entirely

Postby lua » April 3rd, 2017, 11:27 pm

btw i didn't suggest any names for near and i feel guilty so i'm back with....hmmm...nigel?
lua

Postby lua » April 5th, 2017, 5:13 am

okay so i really think near's character is necessary for the story. i read chapter eleven again and there is a whole conversation between near and mello while the hacking happens and it the animosity between them is a nice thing to read

near doesn't come off as unlikable at all and the interaction is actually pretty funny. it may be a cultural thing the way to look at near and mello's way of interacting?
i also strongly think he should stay as having asperger and i don't see why anything about him other than his name should change.

if his gender were to change, i'd suggest he should be a trans boy instead of being female because making a female antagonist would seem like the main genius girl is to be easily disliked even if she isn't dislikeable.
lua

Postby lua » April 9th, 2017, 7:47 am

dude, it seems i live in this thread wtf

through the novels, while following the canon plot, mello has two main motivations 1. to beat near; 2. to catch kira. those motivations happen in that order because mello isn't concerned with justice; he is concerned with becoming number one.
we don't see mello obsessing about near but the obsession is there anyway and we don't see mello directly seeking to destroy near even if by trying to become number one he would actually take everything from near.

so the existence of near raises the following questions to me:

what sort of person would make such an impression on mello without directly trying to?
are they adversaries? were they meant to be?
is this person a motivator for mello's actions such as near is to mello in the novels?
could this person have any effect on mello during a psychotic break like near had on mello?
does mello realize how much this person affects his life?
orangepunch
Global Moderator

Postby orangepunch » April 9th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Imagine if you will for a monent, Mello, a slim boy with longish black hair stood in front of Roger's desk demanding to know who L picked. Was it Mello or what it...her! And the camera pans over to a young Indian girl with shoulder length hair. She's in a plain blue tee and blue and green plaid cotton shorts. Fine she's solving a puzzle we'll leave that element for a moment.

Roger says that L hadn't chosen yet, and Roger suggests Mello and Near work together. Near agrees and goes back to the puzzle, Mello freaks out and Near starts goading Mello...

Right so now imagine it's not the death note scene but one of Matti's original scenes. Imagine the character I just described replaces Near but the dialogue and attitudes stay the same.

Do you see how we've removed the use of a copyrighted character who would be distinctly identifiable as Near from DN under a new name so matti isn't sued when she publishes the books? The name doesn't have to even start with an N to still be the same character in Matti's stories. Yeah? Make sense?

That's the goal here. If a single element HAS to stay because of reasons xyz then fair enough, lets hash those out. But for every character actually lifted from DN - we have to get comfortable with the idea that those characters are not Matti's and she has no right legally to publish a book which uses them, especially when it's a character as distinguishable as Near. And no I don't think pony pajamas are enough. So take the chance that's been given to help form the replacement concept character, where obviously their personalities are staying more or less the same.

It doesn't have to be what I described, so get creative. The role Near plays is unique as sooooooo much about the character can be reimagined without fundamentally changing the purpose of the character in the story. Yeah? So get thinking and share some ideas. A character that doesn't belong to matti isn't staying almost identical to someone else's intellectual copyright unfortunately :)

Return to “It Matters Editors Forum”