What ethnicity is Rod?

Discuss here canon characters, originally created by Ohba and Obata; plus their evolution through various fan-art and fan-fiction.

Moderator: animeprincess

kinofdragons
Site Admin

What ethnicity is Rod?

Postby kinofdragons » April 12th, 2016, 7:13 pm

Mistress9 and I had this mentioned in a convo and it's bugging me. To me he looks black but he has white skin. His real name is Dwight Gordon. I have yet to hear of a white person named Dwight in this day and age. He was black in the video game. See? Also when I think 'mafia' I don't think equal opportunity, but Rod is shown to have at least one black henchman and at least one Latino henchman. So he might have a reason to be equal opportunity. So what do you think he is? White? Part black (I'm leaning toward this)? Latino? Mixed? Other?
For their grand schemes or bold words the proud pay with great wounds... and great wounds before today have taught sense even to the aged. - The Chorus from Antigone by Sophocles
amaryllis

Re: What ethnicity is Rod?

Postby amaryllis » April 13th, 2016, 4:01 am

I guess I thought of him as black (just light-skinned), but he might be mixed.
Idealism sits in prison
Chivalry fell on his sword
Innocence died screaming
Honey, ask me, I should know
mrsj
Site Admin

Postby mrsj » April 13th, 2016, 8:57 am

You HAVE to be Sicilian to be in the Mafia. That's why Al Capone couldn't get in, because he was Neapolitan.

Therefore Rod Ross is Sicilian, and so is Mello, and so is Jose and all the rest. >.>

:mello4: <---- Sicilian.
:SNES: :SNES: :SNES: :SNES: :mario: :SNES: :SNES: :SNES: :SNES:

2 Secs... let me just get this level...
kinofdragons
Site Admin

Postby kinofdragons » April 13th, 2016, 6:15 pm

amaryllis wrote:I guess I thought of him as black (just light-skinned), but he might be mixed.
That's totally possible good point.

@Matti - Rod could be though! You can be black and Sicilian. It's a nationality not a race. If one of his family members, or even himself, was from Sicily it totally counts even if he's not white. So it's totally possible and he's just like 'fuck it' once he came to power.
For their grand schemes or bold words the proud pay with great wounds... and great wounds before today have taught sense even to the aged. - The Chorus from Antigone by Sophocles
chiroptera

Postby chiroptera » April 18th, 2016, 2:27 am

mrsj wrote: :mello4: <---- Sicilian.

Lololololololol will the speculation on Mello's ethnicity never end??!?
kinofdragons
Site Admin

Postby kinofdragons » April 18th, 2016, 7:34 pm

chiroptera wrote:Lololololololol will the speculation on Mello's ethnicity never end??!?
He's an alien. We will never pin him down because of that. Mello means "Number one" in the language of his people.
chiroptera

Postby chiroptera » April 19th, 2016, 11:35 am

kinofdragons wrote:
chiroptera wrote:Lololololololol will the speculation on Mello's ethnicity never end??!?
He's an alien. We will never pin him down because of that. Mello means "Number one" in the language of his people.

^^^ This!!! Kinofdragons has solved the mystery once and for all

Return to “Characters in Death Note”