Chapter 1: The chapter that begins the rest of the entire series (IMHO)

Links: Website section; download the eBook.

Moderator: animeprincess

mrsj
Site Admin

Re: Chapter 1: The chapter that begins the rest of the entire series (IMHO)

Postby mrsj » May 15th, 2015, 2:41 am

I want some halloumi cheese now.

There's a definite line drawn between the story so far and that which follows with this chapter. I remember at the time, I considered this and Watari Pt 1 to be the same story - there's less than an hour passing between the end of pt one and beginning of pt two. For ages, they were both in the same folder, entitled The Mario Clause. That still exists by the way:

It houses Watari Pt 2 - which will ever be The Mario Clause in my head, but was renamed publicly - while Watari houses pt 1. The only reason they were split up was because Spoiled-Kitten (as beta reader) thought people would shrink from a novel which was 60+ chapters long. (:lol: Annals...)

We hunted for a sensible place to draw a line and divide that massive story into two reasonably sized novels. This was it. The halloumi cheese hour. I'm now messing with it again by merging them back into one gigantic novel, as I create the Watari eBook. Annals proved that people would read that amount of chapters. Though perhaps they wouldn't have been so willing when Watari first came out.

I think that Roger was a fabulous academic, but not at all the man to be making the day to day decisions regarding the kids. He didn't like kids. That wasn't me, by the way - it's canon. This is me running with the implications of reading (in How to Read) that Roger's main dislikes were children. He was fundamentally supposed to be some kind of consultant - the objective brains behind the psychology. If you like, he was a rather more stuffy and staid Valerie for a previous generation.

It was Mr Wammy who should have been sitting behind that desk. He had the empathy and skills to rise to the challenge set out by their Institution. But L needed him out in the field, and Kira meant that Roger's temporary position overseeing things became downright permanent. That's his tragedy.

As for the kids, their tragedy is two-fold:

a) Wammy was absent, then died;
b) Ann waited until circa Walls to realise that she not only had the right to challenge Watari, but a downright duty! She could have turned things around so much sooner, if she'd not worried about whether it was her place to do so.

This now is the fall-out.
:SNES: :SNES: :SNES: :SNES: :mario: :SNES: :SNES: :SNES: :SNES:

2 Secs... let me just get this level...
mrsj
Site Admin

Postby mrsj » May 15th, 2015, 3:49 pm

The artist was A-Pseudonym. :) Hilarious stuff.

It's Mello's wedding day. He doesn't want his foster father offing himself on his wedding day. There is halloumi cheese to eat and new husbands to enjoy. Now Mello has to waste time driving to Winchester and then calming his newly wed spouse down from utter despair.

Plus he's Catholic. I thought you Catholics didn't 'do' suicide, on account of the whole sin angle.

mrsj
Site Admin

Postby mrsj » May 16th, 2015, 10:10 pm

It's The Mello Code which is the 'Catholic' novel in the series. That's the one that facilitated a whole forum group of MxM Catholics answering my myriad questions, then adapting their canon Catholic answers to fit my Mello. it was great!

That suicide theology doesn't even pretend to make sense. If you're topping yourself then you're seriously trusting in God. Trusting that He'll be there for a start, and left your invitation in through the Pearly Gates with St Peter. You're going to find out if your faith was real any second now. And God might have a lot on his plate at that second. It's not His job to baby-sit people making a mess for other people to find. He's got too much on with, say, saving a baby with scarlet fever in Jamaica or an elderly lady with TB in Thailand.

(Suicide became BAD in the Catholic Church circa 12th century, if I remember right. It stopped Serfs stuck in the Feudal System getting out of their back-breaking lot by fast-tracking themselves into Paradise. Next three centuries are going to be HARSH, so the Church has to seriously crack down just to survive.)

Return to “Watari Pt 2: Wammy's House”